Wednesday, September 12, 2012

In the beginning....

Given the right set of eyes the world is fantastical.  Every step met with adventure and intrigue.
Where are we heading?
What will happen next?

Truly our life is a mystery.
All of us braided in and out of each others stories.  Twisting  and turning as our plots thicken and more characters are introduced...some with cameo appearances, others with leading roles.

This morning, as I ushered David to pre-op,  I begged Gd for insight.  Maybe this one time Hashem could break some divine protocol and give a hint to how the plot of The Jess & David show was shaping up.   Possibly throw a bit of prophecy my way so we could sleep at night knowing our chapter for Elul would end and start anew with... "And they lived happily ever after, with 4 healthy children, a decent bank account, lots of laughter, and a summer home in Israel."

I davened shemona esrei, pausing at the prayer for insight, but it was shaping up to be a  day without mystical answers.  I fell back into the slippery slope of complacency as I watched Rachel Ray say annoying catch phrases on her equally annoying show in the waiting room.  I figured I'd eat, but not sure where I'd find a kosher place.  I asked the nearest Jew.  It's no great feet to spot a religious Jew;  he had a long beard and his tzit tzit were hanging out.  His eyes smiled when he told me he hadn't a clue.  I thought nothing of it and figured I'd walk until I reached Lexington.

Upon return, I was greeted by my new waiting room friend.  His hand bandaged and his smile wider. "Do you know Elul is the month of tchuva?" "Kind of",I said, "but I thought Elul is short for ani li do di li do di ani (I am my beloved as my beloved is to me)".  Something said at Jewish weddings, but I've recently come to understand as my relationship with Gd as well.  His smile infectious, he continued "my son was born 11 years ago today...just as the towers were falling and the world seemed to be ending, he was born at the beginning....today is the birth of the world."

Just the  hint of prophecy I needed from the cameo appearance of a smiling patient.  David's surgery comes at the start of the world.
How fitting.
How absolutely perfect in our plot...there's my insight.

Today's the start of a new chapter.  David and I are about to write a discovery into a new journey.  The plot will thicken and the rewards greater.

Frequently we'd visit the idea of adding on therapists, expanding the practice, finding more time for fun, family, and study...rather than the drudgery of work.  This is our breshit (meaning, in the beginning).

So here's how I'm starting our chapter, Once upon a time a fantastic Physical Therapist named David tore his bicep right off the bone catching a patient who was about to fall and re-fracture her hip.  Our hero had his surgery to repair his arm, made a complete recovery, and confounded the medical community with his new super-human bionic arm.  And the Goldman family lived happily ever after...Judah became a great rabbi, Willow editor-in-chief of the NY Times,  Zoe the ambassador of goodwill to Somalya, and Liv the Prime Minister of Israel.  David and Jess now host a show on the travel channel and split their time between their home in englewood, ranch in Montana, apartment in the old city of Jerusalem, and teepee in Matchupeechu.

Shana Tova!



No comments:

Post a Comment