Friday, June 17, 2011

Do Over!

Picture it 198o something....I was 8.  

I loved sports but they didn't love me.  My Auntie Susie's (pronounced Aaaaaaaantee, I'm from MA) neighbor Cliffy cranked his arm back and launched a rubber kick ball at me. 

"Strike 1, Strike 2, Strike 3...you're out Jess."  The tears were impossible to hold back; I had given it my all.  But instead of ushering me off the makeshift base (appropriately placed in the middle of an active street) I was allowed what every wicked-good kid would extend to there fellow lousy athlete. Cliffy, 6 years my senior and an amazing authority over all kids, would scream "DO OVER".  And without a word from any of my friends, I'd be at bat again.

Some of life's trials could really use a second chance.  
This week I followed my typical challah making schedule: 7:00AM make the dough,  7:15AM clean up the mess,  7:20ish AM start the dish washer.  I came back a few hours later and the dough did not rise.  Within an instant I was annoyed; which led to frustrated; which led me back to annoyance.  Just as I was poking my dough for the very last time (trying to revive it like a Dr jump starting a patients heart with paddles), David came home for a lunch break.

"@!*#!&%@@, My dough did not rise, David!"  Which David responded, "No big deal add some more yeast...Or something."  (internal soliloquy: big paaaaause, right, genius totally will work, sarcasim) Another pause, just to collect myself, "David, challah is a formula, the recipe is a science. I can't just throw more yeast to the mixture and it will rise and taste good."  Rebuttal: "Then do it over"

Amazing.  Sometimes in this crazy journey of life your given a do-over pass.  Challah, the preperation and making of which has come to symbolize my very self, set me on another brilliant course.  Life is a constant do-ver.  So you made a mistake professionally, financially, emotionally, anythingally...DO OVER.  It's that simple.  Wallowing in anything is a stationary path.  Starting fresh each day (Mode-Ani) is a new chance.

A Lechiam to new beginnings! ; Happening every second of everyday.  My life, my journey, is a reinvetion of me.

Shabbat Shalom!  and to the power of the simple DO OVER.

1 comment:

  1. so true! i hope your challah turned out okay when you did it over.
    you should give d'var torahs. :)

    ReplyDelete