Friday, July 1, 2011

Knowledge

Tomorrow marks the first day of July.  July is amazingly special month in our house.  Every single member of my family (David, Me, Willow, Zoe, and Judah) are all born in July.  Other people in my immediate family are born on July too.  My Bubby (alav a shalem) Gertrude (Tova Gittel) Alpert and my grandfather Sam Alpert, they share the same birthday of July 13th.

My cousin recently told me that my grandfather had a dream that he knew when he was going to die.  He said the date was set in his dream of July 24th.  I was blown away.  To know the date you were going to die, I have only heard of such revelations in the parsha when Moshe Rabainu is told he will not live to usher his people into the promise land.

That tree of knowledge, however tempting to the world of "knowing"; is just that tempting.  It sounds like having the answers would be fulfilling.  I think that I'd rather let go and let G-d.  Live for the moments that are at hand and enjoy the journey ahead of me...wherever that may be.

Life is the greatest adventure.  Everyone of us has the ability to change its course at anytime.
I hope my grandfathers dream is off and I hope he does not plan to leave this world on a set date.  I think he should fight for every last breath and thank G-d for everyday he is here.

I guess this was totally off challah logic today...but that's ok.  Challah is a never ending journey..."you never know what you're gonnna get" (Forrest Gump)

Shabbat Shalom!

1 comment:

  1. very interesting about your grandpa.
    did you ever see the movie "knowing?" it's kind of like a modern day noah's ark.

    ReplyDelete