Friday, July 8, 2011

Nobody Likes a Know-It-All

There are 3 mitzvahs a Jewish woman is given (according to my limited b'l tchuvah understanding)

  1. Shabbas Candles
  2. Mikvah
  3. Challah
It's funny (odd) how this blog and my making challah every week has deemed me an "expert" too many.  Let me define what I am:  by no means an expert at challah or anything.

Anytime someone tells me they are the "best" at something; I vomit a little in my mouth (yeah, you read correctly)  The endless journey of life can never allow for an "expert".  One can be knowledgable or passionate but expertise lies in the realm of Godliness.

In my mind, a self proclaimed expert is someone that has dedicated their life to learning their "expertise".  Challah isn't meant to be handled with kid gloves and only to be done with a level of expertise.  

Challah is 
1. accessible: easy to make, get the ingredients, and access a recipe 
2. messy: but a a good scrub or a blessed dish washer can make it a simple task
 and lastly 
3. an awesome experience: everyone wants to get involved from the kids forming it to the people eating it.  The smell of challah in my house on friday means, Shabbas.

So let me cut to the chase...I am not an expert.  

I make challah for the love of the mitzvah, the pleasure of the smell wafting through our home, and the lesson of chessed my children LIVE,  by delivering our extra challahs to people in need, with a simcha, or with a sorrow.

Simply stated, and for the Cliff Notes version of this blog:
- Challah making is a mitzvah attainable to all.  
- There are no experts in my house.  
- Experts are for the birds.  
- I write this blog to elevate my challah making to new levels of consciousness.  
- I don't want to be a weekly drone making bread but a person aware and awake, embodying the     mitzvah and relishing in its power to elevate.  
- The world can be an illuminated place, if you have the right glasses on.

Happy Challah making!  
If you want to learn with a non-expert,
look no further than the crazy passionate b'l tchuvah on King street.
shoot me an email and we'll get our hands sticky in dough
guru@worldaccordingtojess.com
Shabbat Shalom!

1 comment:

  1. if we're ever in the same town at the same time on a friday, it would be fun to make challah together. :) maybe we can exchange recipes sometime and try each other's recipes out.
    have a good shabbos!

    ReplyDelete