Friday, July 15, 2011

life; a messy needlepoint

This week has been chock full of the scariest news stories.  The pinnacle, the very worst of the worst, being the young boy murdered in Brooklyn.  I can't look to any single person for answers to WHY, HOW, WHY, WHY this boy?  Everything is in G-ds hands.  I can't begin to fathom.

I've heard that life is like the back of a needle point....tons of strings, a huge mess, no order.  THEN you turn over the mess to find beautiful stitch work.  In this world life can look like an absolute mess but I only hope that in whatever world there is to come that we all find the clarity we desperately seek.

Challah, a perfect metaphor for life, is a mess.  I harp on the fact that it's a bowl of sticky goo.  With the right ingredients, a sprinkle of "fairy dust" (that's the brilliance of Judah, he calls flour that), and a bit of elbow grease.., the sticky blob becomes a beautiful braided challah.

As we all seek purpose and meaning in this world and in this life time; I hope to find the ability to see what is very right in our lives rather than what is very wrong.

Shabbat Shalom!

1 comment:

  1. Interesting metaphor.
    I am appalled by what happened to the little boy in Brooklyn. I can't even imagine what his parents must be feeling. So horrific!

    ReplyDelete