Friday, February 24, 2012

Beauty in the Ritual

I was recently asked, "What would happen if you didn't make challah this week.".  Simple; Nothing. I've also been asked,  "What would happen if you didn't keep a Shabbat?  Again; Nothing There would be no consequence; no lightening bolt hitting my house.  There would be exactly as I answered; nothing.  Life would be a blur. There would be no  reflecting that week, sharing in making the dough with my kids, finding serenity in the silence of rolling and braiding,  and no smell of baked challah prior to Shabbat.   A week without Shabbat, the kids would run off the school bus friday to anticipate  nothing, no chance to dress up, no expectation of lollies from Rabbi Block, and no seat next to their Dad in Shul.  Nothing; empty. There is beauty in the ritual and splendor in the anticipation of Shabbat.   Shabbat is the greatest gift Hashem  has given this b'l tchuvah and to choose to ignore a present like this is odd?  Enjoy Shabbat or a simple sun up to sun down of quiet thankful reflection. Shabbat Shalom!

1 comment:

  1. Yasher koach! :) I couldn't imagine not having Shabbat. I just don't have a kitchen right now (getting closer though) and work on Fridays so challah baking has been tabled for the time being.
    Have a nice Purim!

    ReplyDelete