Friday, July 29, 2011

A lot of Hot Air

We are taught on Passover the Jews made Matzah (a flat cracker) because they were in a rush to get out of dodge (Egypt).  Further meaning into this flat bread; the jews ate a bread of their affliction...missing one less ingredient AIR.  The yeast was not allowed to rise.  

The risen bread (such as challah) has come to represent EGO.  Remove the air, remove the ego.  This week in challah, funny enough my dough spilled out of the bowl...too much HOT AIR.  I laughed to find this gluttenous blob of dough seeping over the rim of the bowl.

I laughed because my EGO was tested today from my daughters previous school.  Details are gruesome and annoying but I had a choice to speak or be quiet.  There is time for chutzpah in life!

I am reminded of a girl who was forever picked on in my elementary school.  She was slow, she attended my school but I never saw her in my classroom (I later realized she was going to a special needs program)  She was a perfectly lovely person, but she was forever an outcast.  The kids in my school made fun of every last inch of her from the clothes she wore to her dumfounded look.  I watched for months from a far when kids would rally together to make fun of her.

There came a day, during dance rehearsals for an upcoming show, that a few girls backstage decided to point out everything she lacked in coordination, dance, style, and life in general.  I burst out!  I clearly remember the red hot anger.  I gave these girls an 8 year old's version of the big F-U.  Of course, my dance teacher told my mom, who in turn lectured me about finding an adult to handle the situation (in my mom's terms: Jess, close your mouth...it will forever get you in trouble....though I love you for being true to you.)

I haven't thought about this girl in years.  Today I was reminded of her.  My mouth, though often guarded can't help BUT to speak.  A great man once sung "you got to know when to hold em, know when to show em"  Well my pissed off flag is flying.  When a human being beseeches another for help and they turn their backs....there will never be peace amongst our people.  It starts at home, it starts at work, it starts at school, it starts the second you wake up and make the decision to be moral, decent, and good to your fellow man.

Shabbat Shalom, the 9 days start on Sunday....remember our huge loss, and find the tov (good) in people.

1 comment:

  1. yesher koach to you for sticking up for that girl in grade school. and for being strong and standing up for what you believe in.
    hope you had a nice shabbos!

    ReplyDelete