Friday, April 27, 2012

No time for kvetching

Recently  I was approached by the biggest fabisanah (Yiddish, and not a compliment...my Bubby called sales ladies at Bambergers this when they snubbed her).  Her tactic was a double sided compliment.  "Jessica, a few months back I was at so and so's house and you had dropped them a challah.  The challah was amazing.". Wait for it....here comes the venom.  "I wish I had the free time to make challah.  I envy people like you, with so much time on their hands."  My inner pit bull saw red.  I was ready to unleash what could've been a verbal explosion that paled in comparison to Hiroshima.  Thankfully, I was able to take a deep breath, smile, and put her right where she belonged....on my hidden "shit" list.  By the way I said I'm religious...just not always so righteous.   Challah isn't something I have free time for, it's something I make the time for.  I make challah every shabbas...from the times I wretched in a garbage while adding ingredients... to the days when morning sickness was too much to stand and my friend Shari formed my dough.   When most are sleeping or curling up with a good show, David and I are typically working.  My Bubby always said "you sleep when your dead kindella". Life is for the living .  Life is messy and only those willing to roll up their sleeves and get to work are able to appreciate the minute to the glorious details their journeys bring them.   Funny enough, the creature from the black lagoon emphasizing all my free time is the same person forever kvetching and depressed.  If most people could just appreciate everything they had through hard work, a bit of sweat, and a few nights of not so restful slumber they might find that the more you load  your personal plate of tasks, the  more you are capable to do!  I'm too busy to be depressed...I just can't fit it on my to-do list.  I prefer to make challah and chase my kids around the backyard with bubbles.

1 comment: